CRAFTS, COOKING, AND CREATIVITY

We like to make things. And we like when other people make things, too. Here are some of our favorites...

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Arie and Victor's wedding

My friends Arie and Victor got married in September, and we had the pleasure of both attending their beautiful wedding AND of helping to decorate their wedding cake! I had never done a wedding cake before, but Arie knows how much I enjoy all things creative, so I was quite honored when she asked me to do this for them.
We started with three layers of frosted cake, one wire cake stand, the most amazing cake topper I've ever seen, and a vase full of gorgeous white hydrangeas, and marigolds, nasturtiums, and alstroemerias in fall colors, handpicked from gardens in Arie's hometown in Western Massachusetts. The first challenge was getting the cakes out of the boxes and onto the cake stand. This was harder than you might think!


Then I very, very carefully placed flowers all around the edges of the cakes.



I wanted to do some little decorations on top of the cakes, too.












And then I got to do some general decorating of the cake stand, using the hydrangeas and various kinds of greenery.












Finally, I placed the cake topper on the top of cake. Check out this incredible topper - I wish I could say that I made that myself, because it was totally amazing. It was custom made for Arie and Victor in Brazil, and the likeness is pretty incredible. Even the details of her wedding dress are accurate. With the exception of their clothes, the whole thing is made of sugar!












The cake was done! Time for photo-ops!












Then it was time to enjoy the wedding with my friends, Liz, Susan, Baby Violet, Kath, and Leslie...



















...before Arie and Victor smashed the cake all over each other's faces.










Overall, a successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers